Who we are
We are a spin-out company from Loughborough University specialising in real-time flood forecasting. Our mission is to reduce the impact of flooding globally by delivering the absolute best flood forecasting technology to those who need it. With a special focus on the insurance industry we significantly reduce the cost of flooding for people and organisations globally by supporting proactive measures to reduce flood impacts. After over £1m of research funding developed the service with the Cabinet Office, Environment Agency and Met Office, Previsico launched in January, 2019. We have a rapidly growing team with offices in Loughborough and London.
This is a ‘once in a lifetime’ opportunity for an experienced Lead Backend Developer to join a high potential business that truly improves people’s live by reducing the impact and cost of flooding. The successful candidate will be involved in helping us scale our flood forecasting technology. As an early stage start-up we need a higher performer with a can-do attitude who is happy to jump in and create amazing solutions with us. You will work in a quickly developing technical environment with an opportunity to shape the technical vision of the company. This is a great role for a Backend Developer with an excellent Python Programming background who enjoys working in a fast moving, collaborative environment with a team of Developers. The team is expanding to be able to meet the growing business requirements and to manage our clients. You will work alongside the development team and our Chief Scientific Officer Prof. Yu and Head of technical systems Dr Johnson. You will have the opportunity to develop your skills in multiple challenging disciplines to work as part of a rapidly growing technical start-up.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Lead Software Developer to include, but not limited to:
- Leading the development team in the design, development, coding, testing and debugging of applications.
- Managing the activities of the software development team.
- Coordinating with the operational team to meet application requirements for running in the cloud environment.
- Keeping up to date with the latest development software.
- Hands-on in developing back-end components for certain products.
- Providing support to backend developers and helping to solve problems.
- Be responsible for testing and debugging applications.
- Hiring and training new backend developers.
- Providing guidance to the team and ensure they adhere to development standards.
- Ensuring proper documentation.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field (referred).
- Proven experience in leading development teams.
- Extensive experience of the full development lifecycle from requirements analysis to design, development, testing and implementation.
- Proven understanding of the GIT version control systems.
- Experience of developing on the Ubuntu OS.
- Proven python programming experience.
- Good mentor & coach.
- Excellent problem solving, analytical and communication skills.
- Ability to work with project managers to produce technical specifications.
- Proven interpersonal skills with the ability to work with a wide range of stakeholders.
Preferable, but not essential
- Experience with geospatial data processing.
- Experience with common geospatial processing python libraries.
- Experience of developing software in the geospatial related sectors.
- Experience of the AWS Cloud environment
Pay and working arrangements
- Salary will be £60,000+ per annum (depending on experience) plus an equity stake in the company. Benefits include flexible working options, pension scheme, 25 days holiday.
- The position is based in our Loughborough office (Holywell Enterprise Park) although we will consider flexible working arrangements. The applicant will need to have the right to work in the UK.
Equality and diversity
- Previsico is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
- *** NO AGENCIES PLEASE***
- Please send a CV and Cover Letter to [email protected]with Lead Backend Developer Position as the subject header. Please note we do not work with agencies. If you have any questions about the role or the company please contact [email protected]