Who We Are
We are a flood forecasting company which spun out of Loughborough University in 2019 to predict and prevent the impact of flooding globally. This requires continuous innovation through harnessing leading data sources and cutting-edge technology to produce quality forecasts for those at risk of flooding.
Our story began in 2001 when Prof. Yu pioneered a live 2D flood modelling software called FloodMap Live which has become a widely used and cited software by academics and practitioners. This uses live modelling to deliver continuously updated actionable flood forecasts.
With investment and an increasing number of clients, we have rapidly grown to become a global provider of cutting-edge forecasting servicing, delivering to top global insurers, businesses, governments and humanitarian organisations. We are a passionate and highly skilled team. Our backgrounds cover academia, business development, flood modelling, programming, GIS analysis, user experience and product development.
Roles Will Include
We are now looking for someone to help us scale-up our operations globally by working closely with Prof. Yu and the GIS team to improve our flood modelling performance and develop our modelling capacity in North America, Europe, Africa and Asia. We are looking for a high performer with a proven experience in programming, flood modelling and GIS who can work on their own or as part of a team.
- Evaluating and testing system performance
- Setting up new regions and nations on our flood forecasting system
- Sourcing, evaluating and processing key data (elevation, land cover, rainfall and observed flooding)
- Developing advanced analytical functions and modelling routines within the current codebase
- Delivering bespoke client projects including writing reports
- Supporting other software development and operational activities
- Working as part of a team to ensure that our FloodMap Live system performs as efficiently as possible
The Successful Candidate Will Have The Following Core Skills
The ideal candidate will have proven experience in python programming, 2D flood modelling and a related degree in Geography or Engineering with over three years of experience in flood model development.
- At least four years’ python programming experience
- Proven experience of working with Linux operating systems
- Excellent understanding of current state-of-art flood modelling
- Experience in flood modelling using 2D software packages such as Flood Modeller Pro, Tuflow and Hec-Ras
- Use of GIS applications such as ArcGIS or QGIS
- The ability to handle pressure and meet deadlines
- Passion for reducing the impact of natural hazards globally
- Interest in the latest science and technology
Pay and working arrangements
- Salary will be £40,000 – £45,000 per annum with option for an equity stake in the company.
- Previsico has an office in London (Old Street) and Loughborough (Holywell Enterprise Park). The successful applicant will be able to have flexible working arrangements but will be required to attend weekly meetings at the Loughborough office. The applicant will need to have the right to work in the UK.
Equality and diversity
Previsico is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
***NO AGENCIES PLEASE***
Please send a CV and Cover Letter to [email protected] with Senior Flood Modeller vacancy Position as the subject header. Please not we do not work with agencies. If you have any questions about the role or the company please contact Sharon Dayman at [email protected]